Call Us Today at (530) 500-8080

What if my primary treating doctor is not concerned about my care?

So, you have been injured at work, and the employer has recommended you to see a doctor. In Redding, this is likely ROMC, or another walk-in clinic. After seeing the doctor several times:

  • The doctor is rushing you back to work.
  • The doctor is not spending any time with you.
  • The doctor doesn't seem to hear your complaints.
  • The doctor ignores your complaints.
  • The doctor seems to just want to help the insurance company
  • You want to see your own doctor. 

Or one of many other complaints arises about your primary treating physician. What are your options?

Our Recommendation

If you are having difficulty changing your work comp doctor, not able to find a primary treating physician, or have questions about your work-related injury, please contact our office for a FREE consultation. We will advise you of the rights and benefits available to you and answer any questions you have about a finding a new doctor.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:

  • How do I change my primary treating doctor?
  • What if I am unsure whether my injury occurred at work?
  • What is SB 863 & how does it affect injured workers' benefits?
  • What can I do if my Work Comp claim has been denied?
  • What benefits are injured workers entitled to?
  • How much does it cost to hire a Workers' Comp Attorney?
  • When should I hire a lawyer for my Work Comp Claim?

Planning Before the Injury

You have the right to pre-select your treating doctor in the event of an industrial injury. This is generally in the initial paperwork you fill out with new employment. If not given in the initial paperwork often the personnel department or the person in charge of workers' comp should have the proper form. Click Here for a copy of the pre-designation of physician form.

However, many of you reading this have already had a work-related injury and need to change your primary treating physician (PTP) for your Redding Workers' Compensation Claim.

Contact Riley Law Offices Today!

Our Redding workers' compensation lawyers are ready to evaluate your specific case and work for the assistance you need to cover. Call us at (530) 500-8080 or e-mail us to schedule a free initial consultation.

At the Appointment

The labor code requires employers to provide you with medical treatment following an industrial injury. As part of that treatment, you must use the doctor the insurance company selects for a minimum of 30 days. So, if you did not predesignate, you must wait 30 days.

After waiting the 30 days you can choose a new doctor. If you believe you are not getting the care you deserve or for whatever reason want a different doctor from the insurance company doctor, you can request a new doctor. Generally, the doctor must be within the Medical Provider Network (MPN) of the employer. The company must provide you a different doctor with in 5 days of your written request. If they don't - you can choose your own doctor.

Many times, rather than just asking for a change of doctor, it is better to request a list of doctors within the insurance companies provider network. Then you can select the doctor you would like off this provider list.